From: Mivz <mivz@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 15:54:26
1 Mike Doty wrote:
2 > Mivz wrote:
3 >>> Mike Doty wrote:
4 >>>> Mivz wrote:
5 >>>>>> Then I have got this one question, I don't need a answer too.
6 >>>>>>
7 >>>>>> How free is free software if you need a lawyer and a expensive server
8 >>>>>> just to be able to publish your addition under your own name?
9 >>>>>>
10 >>>> Very free. There are many project sites that will host your content if
11 >>>> you have it under a GPL or similar license. Similarly, as long as you
12 >>>> provide the source, you satisfy the main point of GPL. Thousands of
13 >>>> projects do exactly this without any input from a lawyer.
14 >>>>
15 >>> But then it's still 'free beer', and not 'freedom'. I still can not
16 >>> write a patch and make a cd with the patch applied to give to my mum and
17 >>> my friends, without the risk of my intelligence being stolen and abused.
18 >>> Or I have to go through the hassle of finding a provider, which of
19 >>> course needs attention too.
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 > Then you miss the entire point of GPL. You "own" your code, but if you
23 > derive it from something that is GPL, then you must comply with the GPL.
24 > The GPL exists to protect the author from what you're trying to do.
25 > Your statement also goes against the whole concept of free software.
26 > you've learned and benefited from all of our work, yet you don't want to
27 > contribute? It's very selfish and childish.
28
29 With stolen or abuse I do not mean just used. I mean stolen and abused
30 as you would consider GPL licensed software stolen or abused.
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list