From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving more architectures to ~arch only
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 00:54:40
1 > On 18 Oct 2021, at 01:50, Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
5 >> On 14 Oct 2021, at 14:40, Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Dear everyone,
8 >>
9 >> Following some private discussions, I feel quite strongly now that it would both considerably improve certain processes and make our use of limited manpower more efficient were we to further reduce the number of stable arches in Gentoo Linux. Specifically, I propose to drop
10 >> - hppa,
11 >> - ppc,
12 >> - sparc,
13 >> - x86
14 >> to ~arch-only status.
15 >
16 > [snip]
17 >
18 > My suggested actions:
19 >
20 > [snip]
21 >
22 > - We drop any large suites of packages at least to ~arch where they're problematic. A good place
23 > to start would probably be scientific stuff which isn't a test dependency (or likely to become one)
24 > in future of e.g. the Python stack. There's quite a few niche sci applications stable on e.g. x86
25 > which probably don't have a need to be.
28 One more while it's in my head:
29
30 - Try break the assumption in developers' heads (mine too!) that we should stable
31 x86 while we're stabling amd64 and so on, if it's not already stable there. Try
32 reduce growing the x86 stable base unless somebody wants it.
33
34 >> [snip]
35 >
36 > best,