From: Robert Coie <rac@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: perl extra modules
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:35:23
1 I deploy lots of Linux machines that are delivered to clients with
2 custom-written software, much of which is in perl and sometimes
3 depends on various CPAN modules. To date, I have used Debian for
4 these sorts of projects, and it has been very helpful to simply make
5 debian control files that specify dependencies, so that the necessary
6 modules are installed automatically.
7
8 Having moved my personal hosts to Gentoo, I am looking into the
9 possibility of using Gentoo for new client installs as well, and have
10 contributed some ebuilds for various CPAN modules that I have found
11 need for in my work.
12
13 I was planning on using a custom "packages" file to simplify
14 installation of these custom machines, which, I suppose, would not be
15 feasible if the perl module ebuilds were dropped from the
16 distribution. I would hope that whatever solution is agreed on,
17 people would keep in mind the goal of being able to easily specify for
18 installation several sets of Perl modules, and it would be nice if
19 there were support for some sort of dependency checking, as would be
20 provided for free by portage if the modules had ebuilds.
23 Robert Coie <rac@××××××××××.jp>
24 Implementor, Apropos Ltd.