From: Allen Rohner <arohner@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 'Images' without gcc/portage?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 23:33:24
1 I have been a Gentoo user for several years, but this is my first step into
2 gentoo development. I'm looking at the feasability of using gentoo for a
3 product at work. Is it possible to use a Gentoo host machine to create a
4 linux 'image' (ramdisk/ext2fs/iso) that does not contain portage or gcc? I
5 have looked at several embedded gentoo web pages, and am familiar with the
6 "ROOT=/opt/image emerge busybox dropbear" type command line, but all of the
7 examples I've seen create a portage tree on the image. Additionally, getting
8 past bootstrap.sh is painful.
9
10 I am looking to use Gentoo to create a standard x86 environment complete
11 with apache and X, but with no gcc or portage on the target machine.
12 Additionally, use the same technique to cross-compile to a ppc embedded
13 system.
14
15 Is this possible? Is it a good idea?
16