From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:24:18
1 On 23 April 2013 11:58, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:56:49 +0800
4 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > > I suppose you talked with Michal about this and couldn't reach an
7 > > > agreement, like him joining the fonts herd, or at least the mail alias
8 > > > to monitor ft/fc bugs.
9 > > >
10 > > > If you want I can join the fonts herd also, I already have a foot in
11 > > > there for some small packages used within texlive anyway.
12 > > >
13 > >
14 > > We could certainly use a hand in fonts herd. Most members have
15 > > left or are on extended non-active status. It's just lu_zero (and I am
16 > > not sure how active he is wrt fonts packages, but it certainly doesn't
17 > > cover freetype and fontconfig) and me.
18 >
19 > As the previous maintainer of these packages, I think they should be
20 > maintained
21 > by the x11 team as well as fonts. Fonts has been dead for a while and
22 > freetype
23 > at least needs a dedicated maintainer.
26 Fonts herd isn't dead, but most of the member have dispersed. Matsuu and
27 pva are
28 inactive, and lu_zero is busy with other things it seems. So that leaves
29 me. I've
30 always had an interest in fonts, so I'm happy to do this, but I don't have
31 the time
32 to properly maintain all packages belonging to the herd. So help is more
33 than
34 welcome.
37 > No offense to lu_zero, but he has a habit of popping in, applying some
38 > non-upstreamed patch to a critical project, and then disappearing again.
39 >
40 > On the other hand, you applied infinality, so you're not on my favorite
41 > people
42 > list either. :P
45 We'll need to agree to disagree then. Anyway, no one was taking care of
46 freetype
47 and fontconfig at the time I picked up maintenance. So there you have it.
48
49 I would be happy to have someone join the fonts team and co-maintain
50 freetype and fontconfig. I just want to make sure infinality will remain
51 available to our users.
54 Cheers,
55
56 Ben | yngwin
57 Gentoo developer
58 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin