From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-dev vs lkml?
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:04:18
1 On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 20:17 -0400, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Now look at the LKML. It's often hard to find general discussion behind
3 > the truckloads of patches and river of technical review emails. A large
4 > proportion of the content is not "understandable" unless you have a good
5 > knowledge of C, operating systems, and the technical area in question.
6 > This isn't a place that users hang out, users dont really read it
7 > either, and you need to be a decent developer to get involved in the
8 > first place.
9
10 This is honestly one of the things I think is a problem with this list,
11 in particular. I hope to start trying to steer the "conversation" away
12 from this list and keep things on a more technical level. If things
13 start to go off-topic, you might likely get a response from me asking
14 you to either get back on-topic or to take it elsewhere. Looking back
15 over the flames we've seen recently, there's usually very little
16 technical discussion, if any. Instead it is heated argument over things
17 like beliefs (technical or otherwise) and politics, neither of which
18 really belong on a development list. I think if this list got back to
19 its core of being a *development* list, that many of the flames would
20 die down to an acceptable level.
21
22 Thank you for your insight, Daniel!
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
27 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
28 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
29 Gentoo Foundation