From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The future of virtual/mysql and virtual/libmysqlclient
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 02:32:47
1 I have a plan I would like some eyes on...
2
3 I want to gradually *BAN* the use of virtual/mysql and
4 virtual/libmysqlclient as dependencies.
5
6 To accomplish this, force dev-db/mysql-connector-c to be the only souce
7 of libmysqlclient.so.
8
9 Packages that choose to support libmariadb.so instead can include a
10 libmariadb USE to hook up to dev-db/mariadb-connector-c that will be
11 introduced (and they can live side-by-side). The motivation for this
12 could be licensing with libmariadb being LGPL instead of GPL. This is
13 similar to ffmpeg/libav, except the libraries can co-exist.
14
15 The current providers of virtual/mysql would get a new USE flag that is
16 MASKED for all users for the transition period and pull in the lib
17 package(s) when that USE is disabled.
18
19 virtual/mysql would become a server reference for USERS only. It would
20 be a QA warning violation to depend directly on virtual/mysql as it can
21 live anywhere.
22
23 virtual/libmysqlclient would be last-rite as it doesn't work as intended
24
25 That about sums it up.
26
27 Brian