From: Ben <yngwin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 02:05:31
1 On 19 February 2012 09:00, James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Without LC_COLLATE="C" things like [a-z]* gets a false=positive match
3 > on files like Makefile. [...]
4 >
5 > The real fix is to have root be C.UTF-8.  Which differs from C only in
6 > that the charset is utf-8.
7
8 In my opinion we should set a default environment with the following values:
9
10 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
11 LC_ALL=
12 LC_COLLATE=C
13
14 This offers the best default options to the majority of users, and is
15 easy to customize for those who wish to use another locale.
16
17 And yes, LC_ALL needs to be empty, because it would override the other
18 LC_* values.
19
20 This should be combined with some good unicode fonts, such as the
21 LatCyrGr-16 for console, and dejavu for X.
22
23 Cheers,
24 Ben