From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:39:15
1 On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:04:36PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 11:51:16 -0700 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 > | On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 07:34:16PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > On Thu, 18 May 2006 20:20:29 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
6 > | > wrote:
7 > | > | On Thursday 18 May 2006 20:02, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 > | > | >It's kinda like this:
9 > | > |
10 > | > | Stop making such odd and wrong comparisons. The package manager is
11 > | > | part of what defines a distribution, choosing a shell is the users
12 > | > | choice. If you want to make the package manager matter of choice,
13 > | > | start your own distribution.
14 > | >
15 > | > How many package managers does Debian have? What about Fedora?
16 > |
17 > | They all support the exact same format.
18 > |
19 > | You're changing the format, dropping what you dislike- they also
20 > | support the same installed pkgs backend last I looked, again, not the
21 > | case for paludis.
22 >
23 > No, they have a common subset of shared operations, just as Paludis and
24 > Portage do.
25
26 They have a common subset of shared *high level* operations,
27 resolution differing dependant on the high level component used.
28
29 Note I said 'high level', not low level, ie the format (which is what
30 my point was).
31
32 This is why despite most distro level bastardizations of the rpm spec,
33 things still work- they're relying on a common tool/lib to handle low
34 level details, rather then reimplementing them (and changing them) as
35 paludis does.
36
37 Simply put, others have a seperation between high level functionality
38 (resolution, fetching, etc), and the low level format- high level
39 differs elsewhere (leading to some fun issues like apt-rpm's inability
40 to install N versions of a pkg), but the format bits are still common
41 to that distro (rather then reimplemented by each).
42
43 So no... not a valid counterarg- paludis relationship to portage
44 (namely, we're going to do what we think is best format level despite
45 what portage does) directly contradicts your arguement.
46
47 ~harring