From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dumb install question
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:52:32
1 On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 03:44:25PM -0500, Bob Collins wrote:
2 > I am trying to install Gentoo Linux 1.0rc3 onto a new box. AMD K6-2 550,
3 > 96MB ram, 10GB HD, Mach 64 based video card, 3Com Nic. Nothing unusual.
4 >
5 > I have downloaded the iso image and burned it under Windows NT using
6 > Adaptec software. I have used this method for many Redhat and FreeBSD
7 > ISOs, with never a trouble. This new box will boot the Redhat or FreeBSD
8 > cds fine, but the Gentoo will not. I receive a cdrom boot failure
9 > notice.
10 >
11 > Can the ISO be burnt under NT? Or must it burn under Redhat or some
12 > such?
13
14 First, you'll need to wait for Gentoo Linux 1.0_rc4, because the current
15 version is incompatible with AMD K6 processors. However, burning the CD from
16 Windows should work. Possibly this is due to the K6 incompatibility?
17
18 1.0_rc4 is coming soon; that should work for you.
21 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
22 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
23 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.