From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Linux 2.6.x
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:01:49
1 begin quote
2 On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:07:26 -0700
3 "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net> wrote:
7 > > Curently my counterproposal is to actually have the usr/src/linux
8 > > symlink directed at the target kernel, and if that link isn't found,
9 > > assume that we want the running kernel instead, and repoint it at
10 > > lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
11 > >
12 > > Just because usr/src/linux is a symlink in our case, why is that
13 > > worse
14 > > than following and relying on the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
15 > > symlink? The name? if that's the case, we could well make the
16 > > symlink named "Target" and instead just confuse people more.
20 > Okay, but your counterproposal would be flawed as well, because as you
21 > pointed out, you don't always keep your sources, and without those
22 > /usr/src/linux will point to nothing, as well as the
23 > /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build link. So what happens when those both
24 > fail? Do we fake a dir in /usr/src, so at leats one link works?
25
26 Considering that if you don't have a target for the modules, you don't
27 have source for it, it is bound to fail, so that is a non issue in
28 either case. However, assuming that running kernel == target kernel is
29 a flawed idea and principle, as said, machines may not even boot without
30 adding said modules.
35 > > Yes, I'm of the old school , I -assume- that people who suggest a
36 > > way
37 > > of doing things, also have tried it themselves, or are capable of
38 > > implementing it. When you don't have that situation, you get
39 > > "Designed
40 > > by Commite" solutions that may sound good, but are in fact
41 > > unworkable.
42 >
43 > But in order to try this myself (if I was capable), I would need to
44 > atleast account for quite a few pieces of equipment that I don't
45 > currently own in order to support all posible scenarios, of which I
46 > couldn't afford to do, nor find storage for. In order to cover the
47 > most possible cases, we need "Design by Committe" with the people
48 > using this equipment.
49
50 Why? You don't need to own n(n) types of hardware to presume that
51 drivers built to a kernel may need to be avaiable in order for boot.
52 Thats a fairly safe presumption for many (pcmcia drivers is a great
53 example here), and testing to make sure that the idea is safe is merely
54 about thinking, not even testing to build.
57 However, my argument still stands, running kernel should not be the same
58 as target kernel in any case. No matter how you solve the situation you
59 will need a target kernel , even if target == uname -r.
60
61 This cuts it down to how to select where the target is, and for this, a
62 symlink is a very simple way of standardizing it that requires less
63 cutting into how building works.
66 //Spider
70 begin .signature
71 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
73 end