From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Good place to start?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:04:47
Hello.  I am new to Gentoo and I am looking for a good place to start.  I
have over 4 years of experience with Linux and have built my own
distributions in the past.  I am looking for a more community based approach
to this and have stumbled across Gentoo.  It seems to be quite intruguing.

Can anybody give me any tips for a quick start into Gentoo?  Should I
install slackware and then rsync the sources and build a Gentoo
distribution?  I also am a bit confused as to where the distribution
resides.  It almost appears as if the entire distribution (as source
scripts) resides in "portage".  Is this so?

Thanks in advance,

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@×××××.net