From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] sys-meta/* to own and control /bin/{cpio,sh,tar,...} symlinks (alternatives-ish)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 16:33:03
1 On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 02:58:14PM +0100, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
2 > I am very much in favour to have a package that controls those symlinks.
3 > What is not immediately clear to me is what would that mean for eselect
4 > in long run. Is it so that you'd like to keep eselect around and alive
5 > parallel to those sys-meta category packages, or would there be push to
6 > eventually get rid of most of eselect and where possible switch to sys-meta?
7
8 There's some that do nothing but modify config files (e.g. eselect
9 editor, even has freestyle which couldn't express as USE), and there's
10 other over-the-top stuff like Wine or gcc (between wine variants, and
11 crossdev gcc, feel managing sys-meta and switching on the fly would
12 get annoying).
13
14 So yeah, think both type have a place.
15
16 On Wine note, new eselect-wine-2 won't modify /usr anymore and it's
17 easy to track/cleanup/reset what it modifies now -- something eselect
18 can try to aim for in general.
21 ionen