From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:39:02
1 Il 12/08/2012 14:25, Rich Freeman ha scritto:
2 > On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> Peter Stuge posted on Sun, 12 Aug 2012 02:12:38 +0200 as excerpted:
4 >>> What software parses the filesystem labels when you boot with openrc?
5 >>>
6 >>> (I ask because I never use labels myself.)
7 >> Short answer, mount and udev, and the kernel directly when fed that
8 >> information for root= on the kernel commandline.
9 >> ...
10 >> It'a also worth noting that the kernel's root= line can take a number of
11 >> these (I'm not sure if it can take them all), including partlabel,
12 >> according to information someone posted on the btrfs list
13 > I'm pretty sure that this particular part of your post is incorrect,
14 > but I'd be happy to be corrected.
15 >
16 > The kernel cannot interpret a root= parameter that doesn't reference a
17 > device node that it can't internally generate (with a devtmpfs/etc).
18 > I'm pretty sure that rules out just about anything but a physical
19 > device (not even /dev/by-uuid/...).
20 >
21 > I think that people get this confused because 99% of linux users have
22 > an initramfs (and about 2% of Gentoo users it seems), and most
23 > initramfs implementations DO interpret the root=parameter. If you
24 > specify an initramfs then the kernel actually ignores the
25 > root=parameter entirely, mounting the initramfs as root, and passing
26 > control to its init. The initramfs is expected to mount root (or not
27 > - you could just run the whole system off an initramfs I guess). Most
28 > initramfs implementations just parse the root= line on the kernel,
29 > although it is worth noting that genkernel's initramfs does not and
30 > uses real_root instead.
31 >
32 > So, I could see how many linux users might think that interpreting a
33 > complex root= parameter is a kernel function, when it is really just
34 > the fact that they use an initramfs.
35 >
36 > If somebody is running with root=LABEL=foo or something like that
37 > without an initramfs I'll happily stand corrected.
38 >
39 > Rich
40 >
41 Yes it's incorrect, a kernel w/out initrd is not able to mount by LABEL,
42 even with automounted /dev
43 experienced few weeks ago.