From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: antarus@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 19:44:48
1 Dnia 2014-03-22, o godz. 15:33:27
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_Tags
5 >
6 > Object or forever hold your peace.
7
8 Honestly, I don't think metadata.xml is a good place for it. While I
9 like the consistency with general use of that file, I feel like it's
10 going to make the application of tags more cumbersome, more noisy
11 and make it harder to maintain consistency.
12
13 As I see it, tags are not the same kind of package property
14 as the description or package name. As I see it, current metadata.xml
15 properties are somehow constant. They are usually set
16 by the maintainer, do not change often and are strictly related only to
17 the package.
18
19 Tags, on the other hand, are more 'live'. They place the package
20 somewhere in the 'global' tag hierarchy that can change over time.
21 I expect that people other than maintainers will be adding tags to
22 packages (and changing them), and that people will invent new tags
23 and apply them to more packages.
24
25 So, first of all, your solution would mean that every commit adding
26 a new tag or changing one of the tags would modify the package
27 metadata.xml. This means a Manifest update and a ChangeLog entry (please
28 don't get into more rules for ChangeLogs now), and this means it will be
29 harder to find actually useful entries there.
30
31 So we make tag updates harder, and increase time and size of rsync.
32
33 Secondly, since tags for every package will be held in different files,
34 people will need dedicated tools to collect tags from all those files
35 and add matching tags to their own packages. Long story short, we're
36 going to have many 'duplicate' tags that will require even more commits
37 with ChangeLog entries and Manifest updates.
38
39 Worse than that, your GLEP doesn't even have any basic rules for naming
40 tags -- like what language form to use and, say, which character to use
41 instead of space. This sounds like the sort of things that's going to
42 make it even harder to get some consistency, especially if some
43 developers are going to follow someone else committing earlier and some
44 will follow their own rules.
45
46 I'd honestly prefer that -- if we should really keep tags in the tree
47 -- to do that with a single 'metadata/tags' file or some kind of
48 hierarchy there. Keep them outside the package directory -- bind
49 packages to tags, rather than tags to packages. Keep all the commits
50 in a single place without altering the ebuild work flow.
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny