From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: openrc mount service prototype
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 00:13:59
1 On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 04:38:59PM -0700, Daniel Campbell (zlg) wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > On 08/03/2015 12:47 AM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
6 > > On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 00:22:42 -0700 "Daniel Campbell (zlg)"
7 > > <zlg@g.o> wrote:
10 > >> I'm having a hard time understanding why we need daemons to
11 > >> handle our filesystems. Can you give me a use case that
12 > >> /etc/fstab is insufficient for solving?
13 > >
14 > >> - -- Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
17 > > It is about defining proper dependencies and not blindly returning
18 > > a success result when there were actual failures to start some
19 > > files systems. So in some ways it is a bugfix. But it is actually
20 > > a re-design which will overcome shortcomings/limitations in the
21 > > fstab, netmount, localmount designs.
22 > >
23 > > Net result should be better configurability, proper error
24 > > reporting, proper service order startup,...
25 > >
26 > > Downside, it will likely mean a little migration/transistion.
27 > >
28 > > I'm in favour of the change. Good work William.
31 > I'm okay with a change as long as it's relatively manageable and
32 > offers some real benefits. If I understand correctly, this new
33 > mounting will allow us to declare mounting dependencies the same way
34 > we declare service/daemon dependencies, correct?
35 >
36 > So say I want to have an ownCloud instance that provides a single /usr
37 > or /etc for any Gentoo system that wants it on my local network. Is
38 > that a use case that would benefit from this new mounting? I'm just
39 > trying to understand which use cases benefit and why, and what it is
40 > that fstab isn't good enough for right now. As a developer, I want to
41 > be able to support users on this if/when it hits mainline OpenRC.
42
43 fstab is *not* going anywhere.
44
45 The difference right now is that you just have two services that control
46 all file system mounts and imo do a bad job of it. ;-)
47
48 netmount and localmount always succeed, regardless of whether anything
49 they mount fails.
50
51 Under the new system, you will have services like mount.home, mount.usr,
52 mount.var etc, which will actually be able to report failure if they do
53 not mount their file systems.
54
55 localmount and netmount will be kept, for now, but you will have to
56 configure them to have dependencies like
57
58 rc_need="mount.foo mount.bar mount.bas" etc, depending on which file
59 systems are local or network.
60
61 These versions of localmount and netmount will also change behaviours,
62 because they will be able to fail if a filesystem they need fails to
63 mount.
64
65 Does that make sense?
66