From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] layman-global.txt, repositories.xml, layman, overlays.gentoo.org
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:48:43
1 On Thursday 01 October 2009, Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, den 30.09.2009, 18:17 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Pipping:
3 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > Sure. Just periodically fetch the repository centrally. Have a
5 > > > master list of sync URLs with expected repository names, and use
6 > > > that to generate the full master list that includes metadata.
7 > > >
8 > > > Added bonus: you can quickly remove any repository that no longer
9 > > > exists.
10 > >
11 > > How long do you want the time frame for add-meta-data-or-get-kicked
12 > > to be? If half the repos don't not make it will kicking them help
13 > > anybody?
14 >
15 > Yes, then they're not maintained. And unmaintained overlays tend to
16 > contain even more broken ebuilds than others.
17
18 There are plenty of unmaintained overlays. Keeping them in our index
19 allows everyone to use what is still usable, and develoers to pick up
20 maintenance. Removing them from the index makes it harder to do this.
21
22 I guess what you want to do is keep unsuspecting users safe from these
23 overlays, and the quality levels (i.e. graveyard in this case) are
24 there to serve this purpose.
27 Robert