From: David Holm <david@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] While we are talking kernel problems
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:00:55
1 Hi,
2 I wasn't sure how to go about this as I didn't know exactly what kind of information would be
3 helpful in a bugreport, maybe I could get some further info here.
4 I created a reiserfs filesystem with the gentoo 1.4rc4 as my root partition, it has worked great
5 so far, no issues at all. But recently I wanted to try out 2.5.7X-something but it refused to
6 mount my partition. It mounted it read-only, did the filesystem check (no errors reported) but
7 then failed with "Failed to remount partition read/write". I just assumed it was a 2.5 bug and
8 went on happily with my 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 kernel.
9 Later on I decided to install openmosix as I now have access to a couple of fast machines and I
10 wanted to see if I could beef up nwwine a bit. But upon booting (2.4.21-openmosix I believe it
11 was) I got the exact same error as I got with 2.5. I started digging through the patches for
12 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 but I couldn't find any that would modify how reiserfs works, and this is the
13 only thing I could think of to blame for the problem. With the openmosix kernel I reused my
14 gentoo-sources config and ran a make oldconfig to straighten it out, with 2.5 I reconfigured it
15 from scratch.
16 What kind of information should I submit with a bugreport to make it useful? As I don't get a
17 kernel panic or any noticeable error-messages except the "Failed to remount..." one I'm not sure
18 what could be of help.
19
20 //David Holm
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list