From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Viability of other SCM/version control systems for big repo's
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:20:34
1 On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 11:44 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I know some of you have done research on how gentoo-x86 converts over to
5 > other systems besides CVS such as SVN, arch, etc. But I can't find the
6 > info anywhere in my archives.
7 >
8 > Could whoever's got it, post it?
9 >
10 > I'm particularly interested in hearing about CVS, SVN, mercurial,
11 > bazaar, darcs.
12 I've only tried svn with the cvs2svn script.
13 Importing with history took ~8h on a 500Mhz box (which surprised me
14 because I had heard "it takes days"). Doing checkouts caused about the
15 same load as cvs, but I have no data points on multi-user behaviour.
16
17 http://www.keltia.net/EuroBSDCon/slides.pdf has some performance data on
18 mercurial for FreeBSD, roughly the same size as the Gentoo cvs
19 repositories.
20
21 Patrick
22 --
23 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move