From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux documentation
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:48:31
1 Hi All,
2
3 In a few days, we're going to start an official documentation rampage, lasting
4 about a week. Hopefully, in that time, we can get a whole bunch of
5 documentation done and on the website. Fortunately, I'm writing an article for
6 IBM on the website redesign, so I can devote some time to documentation.
7 However, this does mean that our doc solution will be scrutinized by the world,
8 but I figured we're up to the task.
9
10 For a refresher, this is what everybody seems to be in agreement upon:
11
12 1. The documentation should be composed in XML.
13 2. We should use XSLT to translate the XML documentation into web-ready HTML.
14
15 However, we still haven't decided which XML approach to use:
16
17 a. Use our own custom "guide" format designed for our needs
18 b. Use the already complete docbook format for our XML
19
20 In my eyes, the advantage of a custom guide format is that it is much easier to
21 change/upgrade if we need new features, and is definitely going to have a
22 simpler, more HTML-like syntax.
23
24 The advantage of the docbook format is that it's a standard (for technical
25 documentation), and has a lot of features. The downside of this is that we are
26 less in control of the format and we will need to learn the "docbook way" of
27 doing things. Another concern about docbook -- since it has a lot more tags
28 than our lightweight guide format, writing docbook --> HTML XSL transforms could
29 be *very* cumbersome, since we will have to support all docbook tags :( This
30 appears to be the major drawback to docbook -- its DTD is *huge*.
31
32 example docbook XML:
33
34 /usr/portage/app-doc/gentoo-doc/files/install.docbook
35
36 example guide (beta) XML:
37
38 /usr/portage/app-doc/gentoo-web/files/xml/install.xml
41 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
42 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
43 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.