From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] MOSIX and kernel 2.4.6
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 07:34:38
1 > : I'm not sure about that, Hendrik. I had a lot of those
2 > problems with both
3 > : 2.4.4ac9 and 2.4.6 and it seems to have something to do with broken
4 > : makefiles. There seem to be a lot of people with Durons (including
5 > : me)posting with unresolved _mmx_ symbol problems.
6 >
7 > I don't suppose, you changed your processor type w/out doing a "make
8 > mrproper" first? By default the kernel compiles with either i486 or
9 > i586 and a make dep links all appropriate symbols.
10 >
11 > If you want to change the type of processor you're compiling for, then
12 > you need to start fresh (make mrproper), configure your kernel (make
13 > mennuconfig), make dependencies (make dep) and then make your modules
14 > (make modules && make modules_install).
15
16 Aha! Thanks Jerry... all the posts I saw on the subject (including one by
17 Alan Cox) suggested starting with a clean tree which did work me (no deps at
18 that point). I think your suggestion was in fact my problem. At any rate it
19 was suggested that the makefiles in recent kernels are somehow broken. Not
20 sure if this is actually the case, but....
21
22 Cheers,
23
24 Sean
25
27 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
28 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
29 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
30 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
31 ICQ# 104246806