From: Nicholas Jones <carpaski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage-2.0.51 STABLE TESTING
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:44:05
1 So... We've had no bug reports on _rc9 that were beyond trivial.
2 We've added a few more fixes, and now we are quickly pushing 51
3 to stable.
4
5 As the changes are quite minor, _rc10 will only be out for the
6 night and 2.0.51 proper will be released stable early tomorrow
7 morning (Oct 20, 2004).
8
9 The only potential bugs will be experienced by LARGE SRC_URI
10 packages as it's hard to test the enhancement I added to portage
11 and repoman. Portage handles PARTIAL digesting now. It will make
12 assumptions that the files you do not that are in a previous
13 digest are valid and merge the missing and the present files to
14 produce the new digest.
15
16 The results of this is that portage no longer downloads all files
17 if you are using FEATURES=cvs, only the ones you need. You will
18 be REQUIRED to have all files listed in the digest, but not
19 required to have all files locally if you have the checksums
20 already. This is the area I cannot test easily. Artificial cases
21 are a little weak here. So this is where I might expect bugs.
22 I can handle devs complaining, and the users won't notice this.
23
24 I include some visual acuity enhancements and everything looks
25 good to me.
26
27 TEST AND REPORT BACK _ANY_ ODDITIES.
28
29 People seem to be ignoring my IRC /notice so I'll have
30 to come up with a way of being more noticible. :-p
31
32 --NJ