From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:29:35
1 On 2012.03.28 20:04, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Christoph Mende <angelos@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I believe it's /var/lib/<name>. Here's what FHS says:
6 > > /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data
7 > is
8 > > locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation.
9 > > The application must be able to regenerate or restore the data.
10 > Unlike
11 > > /var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss.
14 > I can do rm -rf /usr/portage ; mkdir /usr/portage ; emerge --sync and
15 > it will work just fine, I think.
16
17 That's pretty much what happened in a stage1 or stage2 install.
18 Its not cache though as you don't get back the same data as was
19 deleted.
20
21 Think 6 month old install.
24 > That really does point to cache. The only thing different from a
25 > browser cache is that portage doesn't automatically refresh it.
26 >
27 > distfiles and packages are the same (well, depending on where you get
28 > your binpackages from, that might or might not be a cache per-se - if
29 > you're just using FEATURES=buildpkg then you can do an emerge -e
30 > world
31 > and get it back).
32 Nope.
33
34 If you have just done
35 rm -rf /usr/portage ; mkdir /usr/portage ; emerge --sync,
36 then emerge -e world gets you the equivelent of emerge --sync &&
37 emerge world -uDN
38
39 Even if you haven't fetched a new tree, you have lost all your old
40 binary packages, which you were keeping in case of a broken ~arch
41 upgrade that needs to be reverted in a hurry. e.g. one of the nice big
42 shiny packages that emerge -e world just updated for you.
43
44 [snip]
47 > Rich
53 Regards,