From: "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] virtual problem
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:34:23
1 A note: I found out all I did about virtuals from the Documentation, so
2 it is in there somewhere. The ebuilds are in constant change, so it is
3 likely that people are adding virutals, because the app depends on it,
4 but it wasn't listed in depends earlier. You can always try and edit the
5 ebuild for yourself and see if you can get it to build. Remove the
6 depend or something and see if it works. Take a look under
7 /usr/portage/.
8
9 Sean
12 -----Original Message-----
13 From: Bill Kenworthy [mailto:billk@×××××××××.au]
14 Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 22:38
15 To: gentoo-dev List
16 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual problem
19 True, this email is the most detail I have found about "virtual" stuff
20 yet, I cannot find any doco's on this which is why the emails.
21
22 It appears to be tied up with the opengl mess - that is most of the
23 programs are complaining of opengl, glu or glut (by the way this is a 2
24 month old install that "suddenly" started complaing of this - so whats
25 changed? I see that there are some odd comments about Mesa not playing
26 nicely in the files with nvidia, but I dont have an nvidia card so I'll
27 unmask and install Mesa and hope that works. In the meantime, what
28 about xmms, xscreensaver and a number of others which suddenly will not
29 build becuase something virtual has poppped up - they have not always
30 been this way!
31
32 I did a fresh install into a vmware VM over the last couple of days and
33 cannot finish the install as that is now complaining of the same
34 problems.
35
36 Starting to look like something is screwy with the portage tree.
37
38 BillK
39