From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:13:06
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > So, I've been drafting this up in my blog[1], and it is a simple way to
3 > replace the CPU feature useflags.
4
5 My counterproposal:
6
7 - keep the useflags
8 - add an eclass with the guessing logic from gcc
9 - add an useflag to let people decide the priority between gcc decisions
10 or useflag decisions.
11
12 So:
13
14 - don't have to wait for per package cflags
15
16 - have the hopefully best results if you don't really care (gcc guess)
17
18 - if you care do whatever you want, eg: turn cflags for vector units AND
19 autovectorized and shut down hand vectorized code (yes it could be dump
20 if the handmade stuff isn't wrong)
21
22 Sounds fair or I'm missing something?
26 Luca Barbato
27
28 Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC
29 http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero