From: achumakov@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: chriswhite@g.o, 'Xavier Neys' <neysx@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GuideXML editor, tidyGuide and Google SoC
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 07:50:32
1 Hi devs,
2
3 I've recently (too late ;-) read that we (Chris White?) had proposed the
4 GuideXML
5 editor project for GSoC. I have some ideas to describe here, and (possibly)
6 willing to act as a co-mentor for this challenge.
7
8 It is interesting that we've already approached this task at Russian
9 doc translation project (as entire Gentoo is suffering from the lack of such
10 tools):
11
12 We had to choose the basic platform for wysiwyg editing (among some
13 existing tools), and had thought of the following:
14
15 1. The doc editor should be as similar to a regular word processor, as
16 possible.
17 2. It should have some spell checking tools included.
18 3. It should be internationalized.
19 4. There should be a bunch of compatible editors not to be ever stuck on
20 single tool.
21 5. Gentoo project itself is not much about wysisyg editing tool, so we
22 shoudn't
23 do it from scratch.
24
25 Hopefully, we've found many of open and closed source tools that can
26 accopplish this task.
27 Here's some of them we think suitable, all can be easily adapted to GuideXML
28 by templates:
29
30 1. OpenOffice.org (xslt)
31 2. Vex (css)
32 3. Serna (xslt)
33 4. XMLmind (custom)
34 (I think this list is still very incomplete)
35
36 The main problem is completely different (as we could see):
37 all the WYSIWYG tools seem to break initial internal document format making
38 it completely
39 unusable for CVS storage and DIFF (although we could switch to XML diff, I
40 don't really think
41 it's yet reasonable for next 1-2 years).
44 So, we have proposed to split the entire task into these two:
45
46 Step A.
47 Make a 'TidyGuide' XSLT that can format (or restore format of) any valid
48 GuideXML document
49 after processing by WYSIWYG editor, and just before commit.
50
51 XSL was chosen as a platform-independent technology (you can apply it on
52 file save in almost any
53 editor, or even in CVS itself).
54
55 This way, we overcome the main problem of existing WYSIWYG editors.
56
57 Step B.
58 Prepate templates for any editors you like -- there is no problem as we
59 haven't to deal with
60 internal formatting anymore.
64 So, although this effort was actually started within Russian Documentation
65 Project (unfinished yet),
66 I think it makes sense to bring it to Gentoo mainstream.
67
68 You can look at current projects' repo at
69 https://svn.shadanakar.org/rugentoo/ru/guidexml/
70 (comments to code are still in Russian, but the code itself is
71 self-descriptive)
72
73 Screenshots of WYSIWYG GuideXML in Serna and XMLMind are available at
74 http://www.chumakov.ru/gentoo/technology/xml-editors.html (in Russian, too,
75 but not a problem
76 as the pictures are self-descriptive, too),
77 those for vex project--at
78 https://confluence.concord.org/display/CCTR/Gentoo+GuideXML+with+Vex
81 If it's interesting, I could convert all these comments into English (and
82 translate existing TidyGuide
83 software requirements specification, too) and contrubute all that code to
84 Gentoo in a couple of days.
85
86 So, what do you think about all this? Is is interesting enough? Could I
87 become a co-mentor for GuideXML
88 wysiwyg project?
92 Alexey Chumakov
93 Gentoo Russian Documentation Lead