From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolution - GTK Useflag Situation
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:33:04
1 On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 03:48:43PM +0000, John N. Laliberte wrote:
2 > * "but you are taking away choice!" - If a program has both GTK2 and GTK3
3 > interfaces, there are many ways to allow for testing of the experimental
4 > interface. For instance, package.mask with a revision number.
5
6 package.mask isn't a perfect fit from where I sit; if it's already merged
7 (say for development), but the developer has masked gtk-3, all pkgs
8 that prefer gtk-3 will continue linking against it till gtk-3 is
9 unmerged regardless of the masking.
10
11 Part of the reason I prefer use flags here; aside from that, use flags
12 aren't features, strictly conditionals (intentionally vague) :)
13
14 > * use the proper, built in methods for this: add "=x11-libs/gtk+-1*" to
15 > /etc/portage/package.mask.
16
17 If merged, need to unmerge it to block any further linking to it if
18 using || () deps.
19
20 Issues above aren't blockers at all, just pointing it out since it
21 does have a minor downside, one that should be mentioned in any
22 documentation that tells people how to migrate from gtk(N-1) to gtkN.
23 There are some downsides that should probably be made clear.
24 ~harring