From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Reviving GLEP33
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:11:12
1 On 08/03/2010 12:17 AM, David Leverton wrote:
2 > On 2 August 2010 22:40, Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 08/02/2010 08:16 PM, David Leverton wrote:
4 >>> If so, it sounds like what you really want is per-package eclasses
5 >>> (maybe with elibs as well to hold the non-metadata code), which
6 >>> aren't covered by GLEP33 but ought to be easy enough to add.
7 >>
8 >> It's actually covered by GLEP33:
9 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0033.html#tree-restructuring
10 >
11 > I interpreted that more as a way to organise the global eclasses
12
13 Yes, I thought you were talking about them. Introducing eclasses into
14 the rest of the tree - is that possible from the implementation side?
15 That is, how can PMs support that w/o much hassle? Are there any speed
16 considerations that need to be taken into account?
17
18 I like the idea. Having dev-lang/php/php-common.eclass makes a lot more
19 sense then putting it into ${PORTDIR}/include/eclass.
20
21 PHP will still need global eclasses for PEAR and pecl stuff, so I like
22 them moving forward, too. And hiding them into
23 ${PORTDIR}/include/eclass/php/ might be a good first step.