From: JR Boyens <jboyens@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge optional
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:41:40
1 I'd like to help! I'm offering my support, but I need some guidance to
2 find 'the code'. Anyone?
3
4 Thanks
5 --
6 JR Boyens
7 jboyens@×××××××.edu
8
9 On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 10:22, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
10 > On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 18:01, JR Boyens wrote:
11 > > IIRC FreeBSD uses environment variables. So say you want XMMS compiled
12 > > with GNOME support you set the environ USE_GNOME to 1 and it will. It
13 > > lets you know at the beginning of the build.
14 > >
15 > > Personally I think that the USE variables are a little too generalized,
16 > > I'd like to see optional finer grained control. Another example, just
17 > > because a console MP3 player has LDAP support, doesn't mean I want it,
18 > > but I do for mail programs.
19 > >
20 > > I envision some sort of ncurses/X based config where you smack a few
21 > > checkboxes and "BAM!" your packages are configured to your specs. To
22 > > shield the unwilling, maybe a command-line option to enable the extra
23 > > config options?
24 > >
25 > > I don't know, but I'd really like to see something like Debconf with
26 > > Gentoo. I'd be willing to help someone out, but I don't have the gusto
27 > > to do it myself. :)
28 > As I already mantioned, the fine-grained package-specific
29 > configuration _will_ be available in the future.
30 > It means we are working on it ;). It's just that for now the focus
31 > is on bug fixes for the Gentoo 1.0 release.
32 > /Vitaly.
34 > gentoo-dev mailing list
35 > gentoo-dev@g.o