From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] licensing query : Splice
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 20:33:44
1 On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I've never seen this before in 10 years using Gentoo.
3 > Has anyone verified that Splice's licence is compatible with Gentoo ?
4
5 What do you mean by "compatible with Gentoo?"
6
7 Gentoo is not a party to the distribution or use of splice, so why
8 would Gentoo need to be concerned with its licensing? We are merely
9 providing a script that helps a user who legally has the right to
10 install/use it to do so. The license listed in the ebuild is listed
11 as a convenience to the user.
12
13 Gentoo is fairly unique among Linux distros in that we separate the
14 distribution of the content of a package from its installation
15 script/metadata/etc. If a package has a license which does not permit
16 redistribution we simply don't redistribute the portions of it for
17 which we do not hold a license. That is also why you won't find any
18 "Iceweasels" or such in Gentoo - we don't distribute modified upstream
19 files, therefore we are not subject to any restrictions on the
20 distributions of such.
21
22 There is nothing illegal with providing an installation script for
23 somebody else's binary, as long as you don't distribute the binary.
24 Look at the long tradition of Windows install/patch tools for an
25 example of this.
26
27 Rich