From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: last rites: games-fps/postal2mp-demo
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 19:54:53
1 On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Let me try and be clearer. The packages I'm concerned with have had
4 > their distfiles backed up. We're not yet in that situation but the day
5 > the publisher stops distributing these distfiles, I'll be ready to
6 > send the right email to the (hopefully) right person and hope for the
7 > best. I was suggesting we did that more often. And with that I'll stop
8 > here, because these childish arguments are not worth any more of my
9 > time.
12 If people as individuals want to do that then this is something
13 between them and their local government - it is their responsibility
14 to follow their own local laws or face the consequences. If it is a
15 game they bought then having an original copy of it is even completely
16 legal everywhere I'm aware of.
17
18 It only becomes an issue if Gentoo is going to host a copy of it, even
19 if privately. If this is a matter of having some Gentoo project that
20 lets people donate CDs of old games so that perhaps some day we can
21 get permission to distribute copies of them, then I'd question the
22 relevance to our mission, but it seems legal enough. On the other
23 hand, having a server someplace full of tarballs of unlicensed
24 reproductions of distfiles seems like a legal landmine.
25
26 I think it is a laudable concept - it just probably isn't wise to do
27 it under our organization as we really aren't set up for something
28 like this. We do operate in many jurisdictions where that activity is
29 likely to be found illegal, and the US is just one of them (the one
30 where we keep most of our money, BTW).
31
32 Now something that has been talked about is having a better way to
33 archive patches and such which are legal to store and redistribute.
34 We don't really have a good solution for that either, but it seems
35 like an easier problem to solve legally.
36
37 Rich