From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 18:38:38
1 On Saturday 16 May 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Have a look at every package using a MY_PV style thing. Group those
3 > into "upstream's doing something dumb" and "upstream's being sensible
4 > but our arbitrary restrictions on rules means we can't follow what
5 > they do".
6
7 I like the fact that our versioning rules are a fixed subset of the sum
8 of all our upstream's versioning rules. It provides a more consistent
9 user experience.
10 As a user, I know it's always "_rc" and never "-rc". Gentoo developers
11 take care of mapping all upstream versions onto an easy-to-remember set
12 of ebuild versions.
13
14 The file extension change makes changing versioning rules possible. From
15 a developer PoV, this might relieve me from fiddling with MY_PV.
16 However, I have to take care of additional fuzz with file extensions
17 (As pointed out by klausman).
18
19 Bottom line: I see no gain for me as a developer, and a loss of
20 consistency for users.
23 Robert