From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Tom Wesley <tawesley@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Linux and Licensing for RTCW, ET, Q3A and other Id games
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:07:04
1 On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 06:00, Tom Wesley wrote:
2 > On Saturday 04 October 2003 05:28, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
3 > > On 03/10/2003 at 15:35:58(-0400), Chris Gianelloni wrote:
4 > > > We have since added a check_license function to the eutils.eclass.
5 > >
6 > > I only have one little comment. Maybe games packages should have some other
7 > > restriction? Something like the big ref F that appears for fetch-restricted
8 > > packages like sun-jdk. My idea is that an "emerge world" would fail when it
9 > > tries to update the game, because check_license is going to be interactive.
10 > >
11 > > Further note: a user shouldn't need to agree to a license more than once
12 > > (unless the license changed), so an upgrade should be reasonably welcome
13 > > without the check_license part.
14 >
15 > Either that, or maybe when you emerge a group of packages portage could check
16 > all the licenses and force you to agree to them before doing anything?
17
18 I prefer the idea of portage tracking the licenses you have accepted to
19 keep you from being asked again on the same license. The check license
20 should honestly be there even in upgrades on the off chance that the
21 license has been changed between updates. Take WINE (from X11 to LGPL)
22 as an example.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Developer, Gentoo Linux
27 Games Team