From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Split desktop profile patches & news item for review
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 17:23:38
1 Theo Chatzimichos posted on Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:52:50 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > For example, I don't really like the
4 > firefox flag in kde, and I'd suggest a -firefox (ugly, I know) in kde's
5 > make.defaults
6
7 That's not particularly practical, unfortunately. konqueror seems to be
8 dropping behind, doesn't have proper ssl/certificate management support
9 with 4.x, and in general is getting less and less useful as a general
10 purpose browser, and there's simply no way to keep up with the community
11 development power of its extensions even if kde wanted to. Pretty much
12 everyone (including kde devs, based on remarks on the kde lists and
13 planet) seems to use firefox for at least some of their browsing these
14 days.
15
16 Someday, the webkit based rekonq is likely to take over from konqueror,
17 but upstream says it's not yet mature enough for that. Others use chrome
18 or chromium, or icecat, or something else. But firefox really does tend
19 to be the cross-DE default, at least to the point that I believe that
20 defaulting to USE=-firefox in the kde profiles would be a mistake. Some
21 of us would like nothing better than to be able to remove both it and with
22 it gtk, but reality is, that's not going to be a useful default for some
23 time, and given that, IMO, full optional but default-on support for it in
24 the KDE desktop profiles via USE flags should be maintained.
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman