From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Live source based ebuild proposals
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 02:38:56
1 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> posted
2 20090213222233.40efa9fd@snowmobile, excerpted below, on Fri, 13 Feb 2009
3 22:22:33 +0000:
4
5 >> > How do I track an upstream who has a 0.34 branch (which is equal to
6 >> > or ahead of the most recent 0.34.x release) a 0.36 branch (which is
7 >> > equal to or ahead of the most recent 0.36.x release)
8 >>
9 >> In those cases is enough take the package version and add one w/out
10 >> requiring any additional version component...
11 >
12 > Be specific. Explain how this works when, say, 0.34.4 is current, you
13 > have a 0.34.5_live and 0.34.5 comes out.
14
15 Luca, I didn't follow this bit either. The way I read your "add one"
16 Ciaran's example went off the mark, but then my read didn't work too well
17 either, so if you could fill in the concrete numbers you had in mind, it
18 will hopefully clarify things. (Add one /where/, to which segment of the
19 version?)
20
21 Being as concrete in the examples as possible helps. It might seem to go
22 on needlessly, but when the alternative is not being sure what you were
23 talking about and thus possibly going off on a tangent... To Ciaran's
24 credit, he's at least using concrete version numbers/strings in his
25 examples, so there's no mistaking what he had in mind. Unfortunately,
26 without this concreteness I think it's just going to be yet another
27 argument in a circle, and I think/hope everybody's agreed there have been
28 enough of those on this subject already.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman