From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: git://anongit.gentoo.org is extremely slow
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:03:00
1 Brian Dolbec posted on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:38:15 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:20:15 +1200 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> On 23 April 2015 at 15:07, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > Perhaps the slashdot effect of everybody almost at once needing to
9 >> > delete and (re)add their overlays in layman, thus forcing a new
10 >> > clone,
11 >> >
12 >> >
13 >> Eh? That seems incredibly wrong for git.
14 >>
15 >> git remote set-url master <newurl>
16 >>
17 >> Would handle the git side.
18 >>
19 >> You can even tweak git to rewrite all urls for you, like:
20 >>
21 >> [url "git://anongit.gentoo.org"]
22 >> insteadOf = git://git.overlays.gentoo.org
23 >>
24 >> Admittedly it may have been hard for layman to be intelligent about
25 >> this, but requiring everyone to remove/add simply for a URI change
26 >> strikes me as rather odd here.
27 >
28 > No, layman does try to update the url first, failing that it
29 > deletes/re-adds it.
30 >
31 > But I think what happened for some, was, the urls had not yet been
32 > updated or updated correctly in repositories.xml. That resulted in
33 > failures to update to a new valid url.
34
35 What I know is I was getting a sync-error (IIRC 1) for the overlays, and
36 that deleting/re-adding the overlays via layman, fixed it.
37
38 If repositories.xml was not yet updated, then how would deleting/re-
39 adding have worked?
40
41 The overlays were the x11 and kde overlays, both git, both set in
42 repos.conf to sync-type = laymansync, with the syncing done via script
43 that calls emaint sync --repo (so syncs can be backgrounded and done in
44 parallel).
47 Meanwhile, from the bug reports it looks like this switch did trigger
48 reports for a number of latent bugs in layman, with patches already in
49 the live-git version, and I believe lessons were learned about
50 coordinating repo updates when a major host changes as well, so
51 hopefully, if there's a next time it'll go much smoother than this one
52 did. =:^)
57 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman