From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Output / End User Experience
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 12:36:47
1 On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:25 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 10 July 2012 11:03, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> You keep saying that, but do you have any actual data to back up
6 >> that claim? There is no doubt that Chromium is a mainstream and
7 >> popular package, but I doubt if it is quite *that* popular as you
8 >> make it seem.
9 >
10 > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers .
11 >
12 > Seems like most of those collecting data estimate Chrome use at 33%
13 > market share. Of course, that is across all OSes, and IE has another
14 > 33%. I doubt that 33% of Gentoo users are using IE.
15 >
16 > Until we have statistics collection with a substantial number of
17 > participants we'll never really know for sure.
18
19 Some ideas for reasonable statistic gathering:
20
21 * What's the user agent distribution for accessing bugs.gentoo.org?
22 * Which distfiles have been retrieved from mirrors most frequently?
23
24 UA stats from bugs.gentoo.org would be nicely biased towards Gentoo
25 users. As for distfile retrieval logs, you don't need data from all of
26 the mirrors, just the top 10% or so would likely be statistically
27 sufficient, even if you only have the HTTP retrievals, not the FTP
28 retrievals.
29
30 [snip the rest; I don't have a position or the expertise for
31 preferring any of the suggested technical solutions...]
34 :wq