From: wireless <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFI: A better workflow for github pull requests
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 11:47:33
1 On 09/24/2015 09:59 AM, Todd Goodman wrote:
2
3 > Again, I'm not arguing for or against Gerrit, just relating my
4 > experience with it.
5
6 Hello Todd,
7
8 I'm not a dev, but I have over a dozen ebuilds I have hacked together.
9 They need work, and there are devs who are helping me. Some of these
10 ebuilds are becoming quite large, due to the numerous jars or the
11 extensive configuration of the initial config file setup. I enjoy the
12 learning and hacking part, but gentoo's tool collection presents itself
13 as somewhat disjointed, imho.
16 If a collection of overlays could be used to setup a prototype
17 of Gerrit, then, I'd be willing to participate in fully exploring Gerrit
18 and its use to 'unify' the development effort between user hacked
19 ebuilds and the portage tree. There is currently no well defined path
20 for hackers to become contributors and maybe eventually devs, the flux
21 is even more partitioned with github now in the mixxx. If Gerrit could
22 unify (like an integrated, experimental restructuring of the devmanual
23 into)the workflow tools, I think Gerrit could become a wonderful
24 addition to gentoo. Maybe a prototype effort will allow the Gerrit
25 community within Gentoo to flush out issues before being formally
26 proposed to the larger gentoo dev community?
29 The devmanual, at least the version used by hackers and those learning
30 'the gentoo way' to create ebuilds, should become more open to
31 enhancements, details and examples; and who is more qualified to make
32 those mods than folks trying to use the devmanual to get codes stable
33 and maybe eventually into the portage tree? The current devmanual is
34 good, if you know what you are doing; a bit weak in the teaching by
35 example category, particularly for current and recent issues.
38 curiously,
39 James