From: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] How to get rid of Apache2
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 00:01:11
1 (This is a reply to both of your emails)
2
3 On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 11:18:48PM +0100, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
4 > robbat2, I initially emailed on gentoo-dev
5 > (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=105362815721103&w=2) posing
6 > this very question and got this reply
7 > (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&m=105362905522592&w=2) which I
8 > obeyed but to no avail.
9 A further reply to that would have helped resolve issues at the time.
10
11 > I have also looked unsuccessfully many times on #gentoo for apache and
12 > php devs.
13 I'm in contact-able in #gentoo-dev on average 12 hours out of every day.
14 A /query or /msg will reach me fine.
15 Even mailing me directly or posting a bug to BugZilla would get you a
16 response usually inside 2 days from myself.
17
18 > Here's the scenario. If after reading you still feel I should file a bug
19 > then I'll do so. There are two issues at hand here. Firstly, there's an
20 > inconsistency with versioning. Imagine a freshly installed gentoo desktop
21 > (not server) system without apache installed. The system has ~x86 set but
22 > not apache2 since the user does not wish to use apache2. He (or she) then
23 > proceeds to 'emerge apache mod_php'. Now bearing in mind that the apache2
24 > use flag is *not* set this now emerges apache2 but then proceeds to
25 > compile mod_php *without* apache2 support. Doesn't this seem like a
26 > complete contradiction?
27 I see little reason to run Apache1 anymore myself. Everything I require
28 is supported by Apache2. What good reasons do you have for running
29 Apache1 on ~x86?
30
31 mod_mp3 is one of the few I am aware of that doesn't presently support
32 Apache2, and that is mostly because very little work is primarily
33 because it is a fairly dead application presently (the mailing list has
34 had exactly 2 messages this entire month to date).
35
36 >> (-) At the moment, apache and apache2 are under the same package name
37 >> apache. Perhaps, this should be modified to be two packages slotted
38 >> differently? This would provide the following benefits.
39 >> -- It will provide the criterion of choice without ambiguity for
40 >> something as critical as a webserver and will not deceptively put a
41 >> certain version on when the user is expecting another.
42 'emerge -p' should be run before any operation to check what version of
43 something you are getting. Anybody that doesn't do this, be it a
44 production box or a development box, shouldn't expect any sympathy when
45 their system doesn't do exactly what they expect.
46
47 >> -- It will remove the need to inject a stub for apache2 when using
48 >> apache1 as I had to do. Injecting of stubs really should not be
49 >> necessary under normal circumstances on ~x86 unless using hardmasked
50 >> packages.
51 >> -- It will prevent apache2 being recompiled and installed when executing
52 >> emerge -e world when in fact the user wishes to use apache1 which has
53 >> happened to me.
54 As a better workaround than injecting a stub, I would make one
55 suggestion. Find and emerge some module that doesn't work on Apache2
56 yet, and so contains a RDEPEND on the lines of '=net-www/apache-1*'. That
57 will prevent portage from upgrading Apache. (Make sure apache2 isn't set
58 in your use flags as well). Alternatively, just create some local ebuild
59 for yourself that does nothing, except holds apache back at v1.
60
61 >> Once again, your thoughts are welcome. I'm not promoting this as a
62 >> course of action but merely wish for the best resolution to be
63 >> achieved. The current state of affairs is inoptimal to say the least as
64 >> illustrated by this email and my previous one with same subject.
65 I would agree that the current state of the Apache2 install is
66 suboptimal for the corner case of those specifically wanting to install
67 Apache1 on ~x86. How common is this case? From what I have seen, very
68 infrequent.
69
70 > (-) Should apache2 really be installed as default on ~x86 given the number
71 > of problems that myself and other users on forums have suffered,
72 > especially, when the apache2 flag is unset? I realise that use flags do
73 > not determine package installation but only optional support but this is
74 > to provide some food for thought.
75 The great majority of users have experienced no issues AFAIK.
76
77 > The second issue here is about what went wrong. On machine 1, my desktop,
78 [snip]
79 > apache2 and mod_php. Then following instructions I ran:
80 > $ ebuild /var/db/pkg/dev-php/mod_php-4.3.1-r3/mod_php-4.3.1-r3.ebuild config
81 > /usr/sbin/ebuild.sh: line 88: //usr/sbin/apacheaddmod: No such file or
82 > directory
83 You did not read the postinst instructions then. It says NOTHING about
84 running the config stage for apache2. The postinst stage provides other
85 instructions for Apache2.
86
87 > Incidentally, I have just tried to emerge mod_php again and got:
88 > ----
89 [snip]
90 > ----
91 I apologize for this slight glitch. I added a small patch to the PHP
92 eclass for DB4 support, uploaded it so it would go on the mirrors, and
93 forgot it in SRC_URI. This has been remedied now. An item like this
94 would have come to my attention sooner if somebody had filed a bug about
95 it.
96
97 > I would really appreciate some official documentation on how to get
98 > apache2 working with mod_php and mod_ssl and also the subtle differences
99 > between apache1&2.
100 After installing, adding '-D PHP -D SSL' to your /etc/conf.d/apache2
101 should be the majority of the setup. (Aside from some SSL stuff, which
102 I am not certain about, as I don't use it myself).
103
104 > Following the current desktop configuration guide and ebuild postinst
105 > works for apache1 but not for 2.
106 The mod_php pkg_postinst specifically lists adding '-D PHP', which I
107 admit the documentation doesn't describe, but I believe the
108 documentation is meant for the stable tree at this time.
111 Robin Hugh Johnson
112 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
113 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
114 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
115 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85