From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package sub-categories, directory performance, and benchmarking
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:32:50
1 On Monday 08 November 2004 05:31, Ed Grimm wrote:
2 > On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 07 November 2004 22:39, Stuart Herbert wrote:
4 > >> If Portage supporting arbitrary-depth category trees, then we could
5 > >> organise things a lot easier. But until that happens, devs are
6 > >> going to have to accept the need for more directories in
7 > >> /usr/portage.
8 > >
9 > > I don't think an arbitrary depths would be so helpful. Most likely
10 > > it'd slowdown portage. How about flatten the whole beast!? The
11 > > categorization hasn't to be done via directories.
12 >
13 > Whyever would flat-tree be better than arbitrary-depth?
14 >
15 > When I started being more dilligent about reading the gentoo mailing
16 > lists, I saw a number of threads on the topic of adding sub-categories,
17 > and the only consistent reason that was given for not moving forward
18 > was, "we need to benchmark that."
19
20 I don't say that I don't like this idea, but we will undoubtedly encounter
21 all kinds of bugs caused by tools/utilities that make assumptions about
22 category depth.
23
24 Paul
25
26 ps. arbitrary depth should start with 1, not 0
29 Paul de Vrieze
30 Gentoo Developer
31 Mail: pauldv@g.o
32 Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net