From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: INVALID -> NOCHANGE in bugzilla
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 21:08:17
1 On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:48:25 -0400
2 Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 06:34:21PM +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 > > People reporting bugs often get annoyed when their bug is marked
6 > > INVALID; especially when they're relatively new to the Gentoo
7 > > Experience. We've all seen it many times, I'm sure.
8 > >
9 > But sometimes, just sometimes, the bugs are absolutely 100% invalid.
10 > "Emerging nano broke my apache" (random fake example with two
11 > unrelated packages)(or...are they...?)
12
13 Well, if someone raises a bug, they have an issue. They may not
14 understand it properly, and may frequently mis-diagnose it, but there's
15 still an issue for them. To take your example, "emerge nano broke my
16 apache" actually implies that apache isn't working properly for the
17 reporter - just because they incorrectly assign blame to an emerge of
18 nano doesn't mean everything is peachy. As the details are eked out of
19 the reporter, the summary may become "ssl support in apache broken with
20 openssl-1.2.3.4", IYSWIM. We shouldn't be closing bugs as INVALID
21 just because the original reporter mis-diagnosed the problem.
22
23 There are cases where people raise a bug because they've mis-understood
24 something and they don't realise it's behaving correctly - i.e. the
25 behaviour they are complaining about is actually as-designed expected
26 behaviour. But even then, the user had an issue - resolved by
27 the explanation, even if the outcome is no change to anything.
28 Closing it INVALID comes across too often as "oh you're so stupid to
29 raise this as a bug" and there's no need for that to happen, imo.
30 NOTABUG would do well enough in that sort of case I suppose, but
31 there's still an overtone of "you shouldn't have raised this" to it.
32
33 > More important is to explain
34 > to the user *why* it is invalid, and leave it open to them to argue
35 > and reopen the bug. Better communication,
36
37 Certainly good explanations as to why a bug is being closed are to be
38 encouraged. My issue isn't with that - it's with the way that the
39 marking INVALID is perceived, when there's no need to be so harsh.
40
41 > not more convoluted closure
42 > flags, is the solution. IMHO. You know. Word.
43
44 The idea was to _replace_ INVALID with a less provocative name, not
45 add more closure flags. I certainly agree that we don't need more
46 closure flags.
49 Kevin F. Quinn