From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:49:09
1 On 25/02/16 08:59, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 25 February 2016 at 21:02, Consus <consus@×××.com> wrote:
3 >> Well, we do have one
4 >>
5 >> https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/dev-lang/perl
6 >>
7 >> I bet folks want to check out what's new in their local copy of
8 >> Portage tree.
11 > With a custom, portage oriented, on-demand log generator you could
12 > produce a lot more detail ( and in a text format that doesn't
13 > require a web browser to view ) , and potentially use
14 > understanding of portage conventions to generate change data
15 > outside those explicitly stated.
16 >
17 > Though that would be a "later feature" you could potentially bolt
18 > on after the main logic was sorted out.
19 >
20 > The idea being you could request a changelog for a package with a
21 > list of "interest aspects" and have the log reduced to changes
22 > that affect those interests.
23 >
24 > For instance, you could do :
25 >
26 > curl http://thing.gentoo.org/changes/dev-lang/perl?arch=~x86
27 >
28 > And with a bit of effort, you could generate a changelog that is
29 > only relevant for somebody who is on ~x86, eliding changes that
30 > x86 didn't get yet.
31 >
32 > For instance, an ~x86 filter would elide stabilizations for ~x86,
33 > because you don't care about stabilizations if you're assuming
34 > ~arch. ( And it would elide changes that were only visible for
35 > other arches )
36 >
37 > And this filter wouldn't necessarily be implemented in "grep for
38 > keywords in the commit message", but *analyse the change in the
39 > directory* based, which would give the ability to do things that
40 > would otherwise only be possible with a git clone.
44 This idea is quite neat - you could do either some basic User-Agent
45 check and either render a web page for viewing online for changes, or
46 even have a specifier that gave you some other output options .. eg.
47 ChangeLog (rev. chron) or basic web or XML or JSON which you could
48 then post-process if you desired.
49
50 I know this is kind of bloating the idea, but the flexibility and such
51 would make it Really Useful .. I think, anyhow ...
52
53 MJE