From: Toni Pokki <toni.pokki@×××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] KV_OUTPUT
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:56:41
1 Heya,
2
3 Where is KV_OUTPUT defined? And is it's purpose to be userdefined or
4 something that the portage figures out automatically?
5
6 The thing is that nvidia-kernel-1.0.5336-r4 came to portage, and I tried
7 to update to it while running 2.6.3-gentoo-r1. It failed to the
8 src_compile, (probably) because I had compiled my kernel to
9 /usr/src/linux(?).
10
11 Anyway I decided to upgrade to 2.6.8 with this excuse, but had no more
12 luck with nvidia-kernel at first. So I modified the make command in
13 nvidia-kernel-1.0.5336-r4.ebuild:
14
15 -- from --
16 # make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH="yes" SYSSRC="${KERNEL_DIR}"
17 KV_OUT="${KV_OUTPUT}" \
18 # clean module V=1 || die "Failed to build module"
19 ---
20
21 -- to --
22 make IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH="yes" clean module V=1
23 ----
24
25 I debugged the ebuild, and noticed that the KV_OUTPUT variable pointed
26 to /usr/kernel/src. Instead I had compiled the kernel to /root/build
27 directory. The compile process failed to the "select_makefile" check,
28 which tries to select proper kernel output directory. By default,
29 without KV_OUT and SYSSRC variables, it uses /lib/modules/`uname
30 -r`/build, which then worked just fine.
31
32 Is there some custom where the 2.6 kernels should be built, or why did
33 the nvidia-kernel compile fail at the first place?
36 Br,
37 Toni
38
39 ps. I'm writing bug to bugs.gentoo.org about this, as soon as I get my
40 account...
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list