From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removal of CVS headers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 21:08:28
1 >>>>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, Robin H Johnson wrote:
2
3 > The 2014-10-14 meeting did NOT specify what CVS headers were in
4 > question, and it was later decided that this was $Header$, not $Id$.
5
6 When and by whom was that decided? The unanimous council decision was
7 to remove "CVS headers" and the obvious understanding is that this
8 includes all Header, Id, Date, and so on. Quoting the actual agenda
9 item (which was submitted by another infra member, BTW):
10
11 # 3. CVS Headers
12 #
13 # The hateful thing. We could supposedly somehow fill them in rsync
14 # but that's complex and very dangerous (think of all the broken patch
15 # files currently in gx86). I think we should kill them.
16 #
17 # And while at it, I think it'd be good to actually remove most of
18 # them from our files -- changing header templates and so on. While
19 # not strictly useful, it decreases the size of the repo a bit and
20 # avoids any future nightmares :).
21
22 Then in the summary of the 2016-11-13 council meeting we have this:
23
24 - Bug 579460 "please make repoman ignore a missing "# $Id$" header line":
25 Implemented in repoman-2.3.0, but not yet in stable. Once this is
26 done, CVS headers can be removed as per 2014-10-14 council decision.
27
28 Note that it explicitly mentions $Id$, and until today nobody had
29 raised any objections against its revoval.
30
31 > This was also discussed in August 2015:
32 > Subject: 'Infra plans regarding $Id$ - official answer...'
33 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/d01ce943a9f9404c454c26bdb7efdf0e
34
35 > $Id$ is used by Git as well, and I was a strong advocate that
36 > expansion of $Id$ should be ENABLED in the rsync exports, because it
37 > allowed tracing what version of a file was actually in use.
38
39 I don't see any expansion of $Id$ in rsync as of today, 18 months
40 after the Git conversion. If it wasn't missed for 18 months, one can
41 hardly claim that it would be an important feature.
42
43 Also I suspect that it is too late to enable it now, because it will
44 potentially break patches that have been added after the conversion to
45 Git.
46
47 Ulrich