From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Python Probs
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 11:13:57
1 drobbins@g.o wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 06:02:12PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 >
5 > > I allways thought sys contains everything required to build itself and
6 > > everythin required for a minimum runtime system. perl is needed to build
7 > > some of the sys packages, thats why it is there. python is not required for
8 > > building and not for runtime, so it is not there.
9 >
10 > You are correct that if we need a package that's used in rebuilding the system,
11 > it's included in sys. But, this isn't the *only* way we select packages for
12 > sys. All the packages in sys-devel, sys-apps, sys-kernel and sys-libs make up
13 > the "base" system. My goals for the base system are to provide a reasonably
14 > complete, fully-functional basic Linux system. There are a lot of things in
15 > sys that aren't really needed, such as man pages and the "bc" utility.
16
17 You wanted a full set of man-pages in sys and I found that it is usefull even on
18 a minimum system because it is needed if something in the compilation goes wrong.
19 bc is required for compilation of a few packages I think if not we can drop it.
20
21 > But
22 > they're included because they are useful and popular things that are very
23 > helpful to Linux users (and expected to be available). Rather than think of
24 > sys as "everything required for a minimum runtime system", think of it as
25 > "everything you'd expect to find in a basic but fully-functional (and useful)
26 > console-based Linux system".
27
28 Hmm, rmm, no. sys is the nucleus that is able to reproduce itself and the core
29 for everythin else. Otherwise we must include tcsh/wget/cvs/telnet.......
30 And finaly our sys is 500MB big.
31 Your idea of a minimum system is something I always hated on SuSE. If I wanted a
32 real minimum sytsem I had to remove dozends of for my situation really unneeded
33 packages after
34 installing what they called minimum-system.
35 Why not continue like we did it in the past and add usefull packages from other
36 categories to the
37 sys.tbz2?
40 > If someone needs a "stripped sys" (for a special
41 > project), it's easy enough to remove the packages that aren't needed (or use a
42 > build list to avoid building/merging them in the first place).
43 >
44 > > If you insist in having python in sys.tbz2 I can include a version compiled
45 > > without use tcl-tk in the sys.tbz2 but dev-lang is the place. :-)
46 >
47 > Well, one of the nice things about being the Chief Architect is that I never
48 > need to insist :)
49
50 Is this the way you think about partnership? I spend nearly every day last year to
51 gentoo-linux (Had earned enogh
52 money last year to be able to do that) and I always (beside our discussions about
53 xml/ebuild :-) ) found you are able
54 to discuss things out.
55
56 > I'll wait for further comments. The two alternatives I'm
57 > considering are the python-x11 package
58
59 Can't the X/tc-tk support be compiled as a separate module?
60
61 > and the "rebuild it for X support"
62 > solution.
63