From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:47:21
1 On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 21:33 -0800, antarus wrote:
2 > I think the whole deal is blown out of proportion, mostly because many
3 > people dislike Ciaran, and unfortunately Ciaran dislikes (or distrusts,
4 > may be a better word) many other people (myself and Brian Harring
5 > included). If the aim is to get everyone to work together to make a big
6 > happy spec; I just don't see it happening (the teams really don't get
7 > along well when discussing technical issues). The only potential issue
8 > is that PMS comes out and the aforementioned 'meddlers' make their
9 > statements and it is a situation that is beyond reconcilliation. You've
10 > basically written a PMS that may never get approved just because we will
11 > never agree on a standard anyway (due to specific differences in how we
12 > view a PM working).
13 >
14 > In essence, delaying all the confrontation to the end. Which is cool
15 > with me; tbh ;)
16
17 If I'm not mistaken, the PMS will be something the Council will
18 eventually agree on and set in some form of soft stone. If this is the
19 case, then all the posturing and complaining in the world won't make
20 much different. The council would be the deciding factor. Of course,
21 we're not blind. We'll see the discussion. However, there comes a
22 point when a discussion is nothing more than bitter conflict between two
23 parties, where each is simply repeating themselves. I've been privy to
24 a few of these, and admittedly, participated in a few. The end goal is
25 to come up with a spec that everyone adheres to. Nothing says the spec
26 cannot be amended. The point is that at some point, we have to agree on
27 *something* or we never move forward. Does it have to be perfect? No.
28 But we should try our best to make it as close to perfect as we can
29 before we try forcing the differing implementations to use it.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
34 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
35 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
36 Gentoo Foundation