From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 05:59:50
1 On Thursday 04 March 2010 19:32:10 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 06:07:17PM -0600, Dale wrote:
3 > > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
4 > > > On 03/04/10 12:53, Ben de Groot wrote:
5 > > >> Exactly. The last time I owned a printer is over 5 years ago. So I
6 > > >> don't think cups warrants to be in the standard desktop profile.
7 > > >>
8 > > >> Cheers,
9 > > >
10 > > > I print almost daily, but I'm not sure if printers are commonplace
11 > > > enough for cups to be a default. Some users may expect it though.
12 > > >
13 > > > As for the circular deps, it would seem more logical to fix the
14 > > > problem at the source, rather than to cover it up for one subset of
15 > > > users.
16 > >
17 > > I can't think of anyone that doesn't have a printer. All my friends and
18 > > family that has a computer has a printer. Heck, I had a printer hooked
19 > > up to my old Vic-20 for goodness sake. That was over 20 years ago.
20 >
21 > A sampling size of one is of course representive of the whole. The
22 > vast majority of gentoo deployments I deal in, cups is bloat- my
23 > personal laptop, sure, that's a different story. That's well under a
24 > tenth of my installs however.
25 >
26 > The point there is that one size doesn't fit all- we have inheritance
27 > in the profiles for a reason. Shift cups out of the base and into
28 > desktop specific profiles.
29 >
30 > That one shouldn't be a point of debate.
31
32 indeed. printing support should absolutely be enabled by default in desktop
33 profiles. i'm not sure it makes sense in other profiles.
34 -mike