From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 13:20:01
1 On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 15:43 -0400, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > No it's not a trivial amount, but it's also important that we comply
3 > with the licenses of the software that we distribute. I think that
4 > storing a gig or two extra on the mirrors (or more on the mirrors that
5 > archive /historical) is fairly trivial compared to violating the GPL.
6
7 I always find arguments quite funny from people that don't know the
8 situation, at all. It would be well more than a couple gigabytes of
9 data. In fact, it would be prohibitively more data.
10
11 Quite simply, I'm going to work with Infrastructure and see what we can
12 come up with. Most likely, we're going to have to quit
13 shipping /releases/historical entirely, since there *will* be source
14 code, specifically patches made by Gentoo developers, that will be lost
15 in the years since things like 1.2 were released.
16
17 Now, I can easily just wrap up all of the sources on our build box after
18 a release. That will pull in everything for amd64/x86, anyway. I'd
19 have to get everyone else to do the same, then we could archive that
20 somewhere, but it would only be valid from this release forward, meaning
21 we would have to pull everything except the upcoming release from the
22 mirrors when we did it.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 x86 Architecture Team