From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 18:28:48
1 2012/1/5 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
2 >
3 > >>>>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>
5 > There's really nothing pointless or blurry about this separation.
6 > The FHS has a nice definition: "The contents of the root filesystem
7 > must be adequate to boot, restore, recover, and/or repair the system."
10 Given that these tools are being moved to /usr and/or duplicated to in
11 initrd , what is the point of a root filesystem anyway now? Just to
12 mount other things on? Just to store /etc ?
13
14 Or will /etc move to /usr too?
15
16 /usr/etc somewhat horrifies me.
17
18 And if you no longer have a suite of recovery tools on root, you
19 *have* to really have a copy in initrd, otherwise when /usr gets
20 damaged and needs repaired/recovered, you'll need a boot disk just to
21 solve that problem. And that I don't fancy.
22
23 And another errant thought: why not just repurpose the initrd as "the
24 root filesystem" if the root filesystem is just to exist for the
25 purpose of bolting other stuff on.
26
27 Because in my mind, the primary benefit of initrd over an actual
28 filesystem is the initrd is theoretically a lot harder to mess up, and
29 you can easily have a plethora of alternative known-good initrd's to
30 fall back on.
33 Kent
34
35 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,