From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming of repositories: gento-x86 edition, bike shedding wanted
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 02:14:20
1 On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Jason A. Donenfeld <zx2c4@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Calling it "gentoo" makes sense, because the entire tree is what makes
4 > gentoo. But since it's namespaced in ebuilds/ and because ebuilds/ might
5 > have other gentoo-official repos too, then perhaps "gentoo-main" makes more
6 > sense.
7
8 The thing is, Gentoo is more than a bunch of ebuilds. Certainly
9 they're a HUGE part of Gentoo, but they alone aren't Gentoo.
10
11 In some sense you could have ebuilds/gentoo.git but then what happens
12 when you clone ebuilds/gentoo.git, website/gentoo.git, and so on?
13 Namespaces are useful to prevent accidental collisions, and for
14 organization, but without getting too crazy with the names I think it
15 is best off when the final name stands on its own reasonably well.
16
17 It doesn't have to be gentoo-main, but I would prefer to see it not
18 just be "Gentoo."
21 Rich